PERMANENT MAKEUP FAQ.
WHAT IF I HAVE HAD MICROBLADING/EYEBROW TATTOOING/PERMANENT MAKEUP BEFORE?
If you have had your eyebrows, eyeliner or lips done before, please contact us to set up a consultation. We want to see you in person and see if we can work with the existing pigment. Please don't forget your face is our business card, if we can not make the brows to our liking, we will not perform the procedure and will refer you out for laser removal. If you schedule an appointment without booking a consultation first, you will forfeit your $300 deposit.
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
We are located at the Libery Place Plaza at 890 Portland Road Suite #7 in Saco, Maine, USA.
HOW FAR ARE YOU BOOKING OUT?
iBrows Studio artists are in high demand and generally book out at least 2-6+ months in advance. Please take this into consideration when thinking about booking your appointment. We do however, have a cancellation list, in order to be added to this list, you need to have an appointment already booked and on the schedule.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE?
Unfortunately, you are not a candidate for permanent cosmetics if any of the following apply to you:
- Under 18 years of age
- Pregnant or nursing (it is recommended to wait at least three months after nursing due to hormonal changes for optimal healed results)
- Previous permanent makeup (brows, lips, eyeliner) By Approval Only
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- History of Epilepsy, MRSA, or Lupus
- Undergoing chemotherapy/radiation (at least a year out and requires doctor's clearance)
- Non-steroidal aromatase inhibitors, Letrozole etc. (chemotherapy)
- Type I Diabetic (requires doctor's clearance)
- Using Accutane (must be off for one full year)
- Currently taking Tetralysal / Doxycycline you will need to wait at least 6 months prior to your permanent makeup appointment
- Currently taking Spironolactone (must be off of medication 4 weeks prior & 4 weeks after)
- Organ transplant
- Pacemaker or major heart problems
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Currently taking oral or topical antibiotics (must be off for at least 30 days prior to appointment)
- Currently taking/using topical or oral steroids, prednisone etc. (must be off for at least 60 days prior to appointment)
- Currently treating any fungal or bacterial infections of the skin (must be off treatment for 4 weeks )
- Viral infections or diseases (cold/flu/eye infections)
- Those with transmittable blood conditions like HIV or Hepatitis
- Hemophilia, bleeding disorders
- Problematic Skin (Acne or bumps covering the Forehead or Brow Area)
- Skin irritations or psoriasis near the treated area (rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
- Chemical peels or PRP facial (at least 60 days prior)
- Facial laser treatment, IPL (at least 60 days prior)
- Had Botox in the last two weeks
- Poor general health
- Allergy to epinephrine, dermacaine, benzyl alcohol, lidocaine, or tetracaine
- Active cold sores (for lip blush)
- Hooded eyelids (for eyeliner)
- Currently have lash extensions (for eyeliner)
- Surgery 30 days before and/or after treatment
- Currently using or have used lash or brow serums in the past 8 weeks; avoid serum on area to be treated for a minimum of 8 weeks
- Using any skin care products that contain any retinol, glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, or alpha hydroxyls
HOW CAN I BOOK AN APPOINTMENT?
Prior to booking an appointment, please ensure you have reviewed our process, policies and FAQs on our website to ensure you are a good candidate for the procedure. To book an appointment, please call/text or email us. If you move forward with booking an appointment and are contraindicated for treatment on the day of your appointment, you will forfeit your deposit. Appointments will not be booked via social media.
WHY DO I NEED TO STOP ALL OF MY SKIN CARE PRODUCTS?
The end goal with these procedures is a beautiful, natural healed result. When anti-aging, lightening, brightening, smoothing, tightening, acne, color correcting, etc. skin care products are used, the skin thickness is altered and the end result is not the same.You are paying a lot of money for this service, we have been doing this for over 6 years, these products have a HUGE impact on the healed brows. If these products are used 4 weeks prior or 4 weeks after the appointment, the brows will heal very patchy, completely faded, dark, or very unnatural in color, we have seen blue, and even purple/pink eyebrows. We have FAQs on our website for a reason, we want the best results for our clients, as your face is our business card and you represent our brand. *THIS APPLIES TO AVOIDING THESE PRODUCTS ON THE WHOLE FACE AND NECK*. You can resume your products 4 weeks after the touch up when your eyebrows have fully healed. For best results, we only recommend using the basic daily cleanser and daily facial moisturizer from Cetaphil to prepare the skin for the procedure. If you have questions about this policy, please don't hesitate to reach out.
*Brands to avoid 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after to procedure: Environ, Skinceuticals, Elta MD, Dermalogica, ZO, PCA, Biossance, Estee Lauder, IT Cometics, Skin Medica, Beauty Counter, Yonka, Arbonne, Kiehls, Tula, La Roche-Posay, La Mer, Clinique Moisture Surge, Olay Regenerist, No. 7, Roc, Murad, Image, Dime, Obagi, Alastin, Sente, The Ordinary, Skin Better Science, Mary Kay, and many many more. The list is never ending. If you are unsure, please send us the names of the products you are using so we can double check. For best results we recommend using only the Cetaphil Daily Cleanser and Daily Facial Moisturizer 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after.
WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading is done using a manual method of permanent makeup that replicates the look of natural hair growth in the eyebrow. Individual hair strokes are placed in the same direction of the existing hair to create a seamless and natural look. The results can last anywhere from 12 months up to 24 months depending on the skin type and lifestyle. A touch up every 18-24 months is recommended. Skin that is firm, normal/dry, with small or invisible pores is ideal for this technique. The Microblading technique is not suitable for very oily, mature, sun damaged or extremely sensitive skin. Eligibility for Microblading is subject to approval by the artist.
WHAT ARE NANO BROWS?
Nano brows are created using a hand held permanent makeup machine to create the hairstrokes using only one very fine needle. The results are very similar to that of microblading and lasts about the same. Great for clients who are not suitable candidates for microblading who want hyperrealistic hair strokes. Just like with microblading, the results will fade overtime.
WHAT ARE COMBO BROWS?
Combo Brows are created by nano/microblading hair strokes combined with machine shading. This technique is quickly becoming a highly sought-after option to create natural looking brows that reduce the need for makeup. Depending on skin type, combo brows are often the most ideal service for clients with minimal brow hair. It provides the appearance of hair strokes along with added density from shading to provide the most realistic results. As with microblading, this is not suitable for all skin types. A touch up every 24 months is recommended.
WHAT ARE OMBRE POWDER BROWS?
A fully shaded technique using a tattoo machine/pen that replicates a makeup look is called Ombre Powder Brows. The intensity of this look can be modified based on the client’s personal preference, ranging from soft and airy to bold and dense. Ombre Powder Brows are best for clients who want a well-defined, filled in brow. It is good for all skin types, especially for clients with oily skin with large pores. A touch up every 24 months is recommended.
WILL YOU SHAVE OFF MY EYEBROWS?
No, we want to work with as much of the existing hair as possible. Once we finish drawing your brow shape using the golden ratio method, we will ask you for permission to remove (tweeze) any hair outside of the agreed shape.
WHAT IS A LASH ENHANCEMENT?
Of all eyeliner techniques, this is the most natural and conservative as the color in placed within the lash line, not on top. It is a great place to start if you’re looking for your eyelashes to appear fuller, rather than lined. A yearly touch up is recommended.
WHAT IS A CLASSIC EYELINER?
A classic eyeliner goes beyond the thickness of the thin lash enhancement. This subtle technique creates a backdrop for your upper lashes to make them look fuller, makes the whites of your eyes pop, and accentuates the color of your iris. You may choose to have a classic eyeliner with no wings, or you may choose to add a small wing to your classic eyeliner. A touch up is recommended every 1-2 years.
WHAT IS LIP BLUSH?
Lip blushing is a cosmetic tattoo of the lips that enhances the beauty of the natural lip color, improving the shape of the lips, giving definition and the illusion of fullness. This treatment delivers very natural results, once healed. Filler may be great for creating volume in your lips, but lip blush delivers a more natural look and give the illusion of fuller lips and a defined vermillion border. Photo approval required prior to booking. A touch up is recommended every 2-3 years.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Permanent makeup on the brows typically last one to two years for most people before they need a touch up. Cosmetic tattoo treatments are considered permanent and will not wash off — however, they will fade over time and may need to be refreshed every 18 months to 24+ months. Those who do not follow pre-care or after-care instructions properly may require more frequent microblading touch-ups.
DOES PERMANENT MAKEUP HURT?
At iBrows Studio in Saco, our licensed makeup tattoo artists use two different types of numbing to help alleviate any discomfort. Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during the microblading process.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE PERMANENT MAKEUP TO HEAL?
Approximately 14 days to heal. During this time, we encourage you to let it naturally exfoliate. This means keeping the permanent makeup out of water, sweat, steam, etc. Once the flaking period is complete, the result will appear lighter and the true color will come out after four weeks. As long as you’re good at following the aftercare instructions, there shouldn’t be a problem going to work or being out in public.
HOW LONG IS THE APPOINTMENT?
The appointment usually takes two to three hours, and most of the time is spent going over drawing the shape of your eyebrows and picking the right color in order to ensure that your eyebrow blading turns out perfect.
CAN I SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION?
The consultation and procedure are typically both done in the same day, unless you have existing permanent makeup. In this case, please contact us beforehand to discuss your options. The cost of the consultation is $50.
YOU'RE TOO EXPENSIVE, I FOUND SOMEONE CHEAPER.
Permanent makeup is an extremely meticulous permanent cosmetic procedure, and microblading costs vary from artist to artist. Remember, this is your face, and the procedure is permanent. Our artists have trained with some of the top permanent makeup artists in the world. When looking for a permanent makeup artist, do not nickel and dime your face. Please research local makeup tattoo artists, and most importantly, look at their healed work before you book an appointment. Paying less upfront might end up costing a lot more in the long run to fix. Laser removal takes many sessions and costs add up very quickly.
CAN YOU MICROBLADE YOUR OWN EYEBROWS?
Absolutely not. Performing such an invasive procedure on your own face can scar you for life — pun intended. In order to achieve ideal results with microblading eyebrows, proper stretching of the skin is extremely important, which works together with adequate pressure. Without proper stretching, you will harm your skin and most likely cut too deep and cause undesired scarring.
IS IT PERMANENT?
Because the color is implanted into the upper dermal layer of the skin and cannot be washed off, it is considered permanent. However, the pigment is implanted more superficially than a traditional tattoo, making it fade over time and requiring future touch ups.
WILL YOU DRAW THE SHAPE ON FIRST?
Yes, we won’t start the process until you agree with the color selected and the shape.
CAN I WEAR MAKEUP AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
Do not wear makeup on the area you are having done for at least two weeks after your procedure, but everywhere else is fine, being careful not to get it on the treated area(s).
IS THE SECOND APPOINTMENT NECESSARY?
Touch-ups are done no earlier than six weeks after your initial procedure and no later than twelve. If you do not schedule your eyebrow tattoo touch-up within twelve weeks, you will be required to pay the touch-up fee outlined in the touch-up schedule. At the touch-up, we assess the color retention and make adjustments as necessary. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. If your cosmetic tattoo does not heal perfectly the first time, do not worry! We can always go bolder and add more density as well as correct any irregularities in the microbladed hair strokes during the touch-up. Some clients do not need a touch up, we call this one and done, as these clients will not need to be seen until 18-24+ months for a color boost touch up.
HOW WILL MY EYEBROWS LOOK RIGHT AFTER THE MICROBLADING PROCEDURE? DO I NEED TO GO HOME AND HIDE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS?
They will look great! They may be a little darker for a couple of days, but you shouldn't experience any bruising and will only have very minimal swelling. You can go out to dinner the same day — just don't drink alcohol because it makes you sweat, bleed (unlikely), bruise, and worse of all, it leads you to make questionable decisions like touching your eyebrows with dirty hands!
DOES PERMANENT MAKEUP HURT AFTERWARD?
The tattooed area can be a little sore for the first few hours, and it is not uncommon for it to be tender for a few days.
CAN YOU PERFORM OVER AN EXISTING TATTOO?
Sometimes. However, the old tattoo must be significantly faded for the hair strokes to show through and look natural. If you do have an existing tattoo, you need to schedule a consultation prior to booking a new client appointment.
I HAD MY EYEBROWS DONE SOMEWHERE ELSE, CAN YOU DO A TOUCH UP?
If you have been microbladed elsewhere and need a touch-up, please contact us for a consultation first then we can discuss your options for scheduling a touch up. If you move forward with scheduling a new client appointment without informing us you have had your eyebrows done before, you may be turned away and will forfeit your $300 nonrefundable deposit.
Properly preparing for all of your appointments is an essential part of optimal healing. To ensure a safe, enjoyable and the best healed results, please follow our recommended pre-care agenda.
PRE CARE RESPONSIBILITIES:
60 DAYS PRIOR:
-NO Facials/PRP Facials
-NO Laser Treatments anywhere on the face
-NO Chemical Peels
-NO Eyelash serums (for eyeliner appointments only)
-NO Brow serums
-Drink Lots of Water!!! Hydrate your skin from within!
4 WEEKS PRIOR:
-NO Anti-aging products; any skin care products that contain any vitamin A, peptides, retinol, glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, rosehip seed oil or alpha hydroxyls etc* anywhere on the face *Basic cleanser/ moisturizer is recommended (ie. Cetaphil Daily Cleanser/ Daily Moisturizer or the comparable Ponds)
-NO Spironolactone 4 weeks prior, 4 weeks after
-NO Anti-acne products* any where on the face
-NO Surgery of any kind
-NO Tanning, avoid sun and tanning beds
-NO Lash extensions (must be removed prior to eyeliner/lash enhancement appointments only)
-Drink Lots of Water!!!
2 WEEKS PRIOR:
-NO Tinting of brow hair
-NO Botox, fillers
-NO Spray tanning
-NO Garlic, Turmeric, Fish Oil or Vitamin E supplements
-Drink Lots of Water!!!
72 HOURS PRIOR :
-NO blood thinning medications such as ibuprofen, NSAIDs, Aspirin, Motrin etc.
*See note at the end of this section about Lip Blush anti-viral pre-treatment
-Drink Lots of Water!!!
24 HOURS PRIOR:
-NO Working out
-Drink Lots of Water!!!
DAY OF APPOINTMENT:
-NO Working out
-NO Caffeine** no coffee; decaf still has caffeine, no herbal teas,
-Come with your brows penciled in so we can see how you are used to having them. Please avoid forehead makeup as it is our working space and we want it as clean as possible
-Drink Lots of Water!!!
*Any skincare products for youth, repair, anti-aging, wrinkles, acne, tone correcting, brightening, etc. are likely to have these ingredients, do not use them anywhere on the face 4 weeks prior to procedure.
*(Lip blush only) If you have any history of cold sores, fever blisters, caused by the virus herpes simplex, you could contact your physician to obtain and take the proper prescription medication to prevent such outbreaks. Tattooing has the potential to trigger the virus and compromise color retention. You can still have lip tattooing done. You will need to take the cold sore medication for your touch-up just as you did for your initial procedure. If you have an active cold sore you will need to reschedule your appointment and wait until it fully heals. Please consult with your doctor on taking antiviral medications for a longer period of time. It is often recommended to take medicine for at least 3 days before and 3 days after the procedure. If you suffer cold sores more often you can consider longer treatment. Ensure you are very hydrated for this service and the lips have been exfoliated a few days prior.
**Caffeine and alcohol are blood thinners we want zero bleeding during the procedure for the best possible outcome. Bleeding pushes out the color and will also likely cause scabbing during the healing process. Everything is outlined for you to have the best results possible, you are paying a lot of money for these procedures, please follow the rules.
AVOID FOR NEXT 2 WEEKS:
- Getting eyebrows wet in the shower (wash from neck down or utilize dry shampoo)
- Please wash your face carefully around the eyebrows without getting water on the treated area
- Keep hair out of the eyebrows; it has a lot of oils and bacteria
- Working out, playing sports, yoga, sweating etc. increased heart rate and sweating can prematurely fade the treated area
- Hot sauna, hot bath or Jacuzzi; use lukewarm water in the shower
- Picking, peeling, touching or scratching of the micropigmented area to avoid scarring of the area or removal of the pigment, except for when rinsing and applying the post-care ointment with a cotton swab
- Performing tasks related to gardening or heavy household cleaning such as garage or basement cleaning where there is a lot of airborne dust/ debris
- Drinking alcohol in excess, as it may lead to slow healing of wounds; drink lots of water
- Driving in open air vehicles such as convertibles, boats, bicycles or motorcycles
- No Botox/fillers
- No makeup directly on the eyebrows
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach or sides while healing.
AVOID FOR NEXT 4 WEEKS:
- Any laser or chemical treatments or peels, and/or any creams containing Retin-A or Glycolic acid etc. on the face or neck; this can cause premature exfoliation of the implanted pigment.
- Sun tanning or salon tanning; UV/UVA Rays or chemicals as they have been known to cause a shift in color and premature fading; wear a hat or visor if outside to keep the brows protected
*Any skincare products for youth, repair, anti-aging, wrinkles, acne, tone correcting, brightening, etc. are likely to have these ingredients, do not use them anywhere on the face 4 weeks prior to procedure and 4 weeks after the procedure. This applies to all appointments at the studio, including any future touch ups.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING HEALING
The entire healing process will take from 4-6 weeks depending on your body regeneration and age. Your new eyebrows will go through several phases during the healing cycle. Itching and flaking may appear during the first 7 days post-microblading procedure. However, experience has shown that by strictly following these after-care instructions, these symptoms may quickly disappear.
The pigment will appear very sharp and dark immediately after the procedure. This is because the pigment is still sitting on top of your skin and has not yet settled in completely. The color of the pigment will soften gradually. Do not be alarmed if you see some pigment on the cotton pad/swab, as this is excess pigment and/or body fluid that is naturally exiting your skin.
Once the healing of the skin starts taking place, it will look like dandruff flakes or dry skin. However, this is just superficial color and dry skin being naturally exfoliated from your eyebrows. The final look of your eyebrows will be apparent approximately 30 days after your procedure.
Note that because of natural skin regeneration, after recovery period (peeling), brows might appear lighter than original. This might give you the impression that color is fading too quickly. Often even with proper care, clients may lose original hair strokes which make brows look uneven. This is normal. That is the reason why most customers need a touchup after 6-8 weeks. Never rub the treated area as it will disturb the skin from natural healing.
AFTER YOUR PERMANENT MAKEUP HAS HEALED
Protect your investment! Permanent cosmetics will require consistent care once healed to ensure a lasting and natural result.
- Permanent makeup can last anywhere from one to 2+ years depending on the client's lifestyle, skin type, and aftercare.
- Exposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment.
- When you are outdoors, always apply sunscreen to the treated area once completely healed to avoid excess fading or discoloration of the pigment.
- Maintain removal of unwanted brow hair outside of your microbladed shape by tweezing, waxing, threading, or razoring.
- Laser procedures such as hair removal or resurfacing will alter the pigment. Please inform your technician of any permanent cosmetics on your face.
- Additional makeup application may still be required post-procedure to achieve your desired look.
- For further sun protection, wear hats and sunglasses.
- Avoid anti-aging and exfoliating products such as retinols, glycolic, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, etc. This will cause premature fading over time.
- Moisturized skin retains better! Keep yourself hydrated and always apply a daily moisturizer to your permanent makeup.
- Touch-ups are recommended every 18-36 months to maintain your results.
PLEASE NOTE: The results are natural, fuller looking eyebrows. Initially, the brows may appear darker but fade significantly over the first two weeks. Although our cosmetic tattoo artists use premium products and provide exceptional service, all clients heal differently, and many factors lead to varied results. It is very difficult to predict how well your skin will retain the pigment. Due to this and other varying factors, we cannot guarantee your results.